Monday, May 15, 2006

Revelation --
in the LDS church is like the Colorado River. Most of it is siphoned off upstream from you.

Let's see, the inspiration I've received lately:

The Word of Wisdom is pharisaical.

The KJV is cryptic and should be dumped.

LDS are too inwardly focused on the clean people and not outwardly focused on people you might find in bars, homeless shelters, etc., where the LDS dare not go.

I find a better worship experience in the Episcopal Church.

God loves me and sends me spiritual promptings even when I commit sins.

I could go on. How much of this is "authorized" revelation? 0. All of it is contrary to things on which church leaders have spoken, so it's off the table.
The only authorized revelation for most people is how to accomplish what the church has told them to do. What to do and what not to do is not on the table. Only how to do it.

Basically "modern revelation" only applies to leaders. We don't need a personal relationship with God, because our leaders have told us what to do. All we need to do is to be obedient and we'll be saved. God may be consulted about minor implementation details so you don't need to bother the bishop.

No comments: